May 22, 2010

Impressions of working in Japan: The unwritten rules

Long working day requires energy. Lunch at 12 is vital but not enough to up hold concentration until late evening.

A fruit in the afternoon would hit the spot, I thought. So accordingly, on my way to work, I bought a banana and placed it in my desk's drawer.

Afternoon came and my stomach started to grumble. I recalled the banana but at the same time made a note that actually I haven't seen anyone eating banana or the like during work.

Just to be on the safe side, I thought it's better to ask from a person next to me, "Is it alright to eat a banana here?" Instead of saying "Yes, of course", a reply that I had expected, we ended up having the following dialog:
- "Eat a banana? Eh, you mean like in the lunch time, right?

- "No, I mean like in the afternoon."

- "Afternoon you say? Hmm, I wonder about that. Afternoon
   is for working. Eating a banana would be like having a break,
   or other in words not working. Moreover, as you can imagine, the
   banana skin would make an awful mess."

- "Uh, I can imagine that. But then, why it's okay to drink coffee or
   tea and eat small sweets?"

- "That's a different thing. Drinking does not interrupt work, and small
   sweets can be eaten unnoticed.

- "I see (trying to figure the logic). So is this rule written somewhere?"

- "No. All rules are not written.

- "So it seems. Anyway, fruit would be better for health."

- "Maybe so."

Enlightening conversation, huh? I should have asked, "Why this rule is not written?", and maybe the reply would have been, "It doesn't make sense to write it", to which I could have concluded, "Yes, because its an insensible rule".

There are many unwritten rules. I get the feeling that rules have emerged first and then afterwards people have started to make up explanations to why such rule exists.On the other hand, for harmony's sake I better not drift into such debates anymore. Just comply to say "Yes, understood" and go on.

I took the banana out of from the drawer and brought it home.

Finally, if we're going to have a company costume party I'll be sure to wear this:

5 comments (click to write a comment):

ari said...

I suppose you realised lots of annoying rules working in Japan and got surprised. I guess it depends on companies, domestic companies or not. As I was working for Danish company, expats were eating fruits while they were working. And sometimes even me feel annoyed with this sort of rules.

And hope you enjoy ur stay in Japan a lot till you leave. BTW, have you got ticket for Finland already?
(Actually I'm still looking for it as well.)

Lauri said...

Hi Ari and thanks for the comment! Working in a non-Japanese company in Japan would be a nice vision. Japan is a great place, if working for a Japanese company is excluded. Well, I'm sure there are exceptions withing the Japanese companies too. Perhaps people from Kyushu area are even a bit more old-fashioned.

Concerning the tickets, we bought them only two days a go. Our departure is during the summer holiday, which is not so good; flights are expensive and planes full. Anyway, the cheapest of all flights was Finnair's Moomin-saver.

Ari, planning on going to enjoy the summer in Finland?

ari said...

Yeah, I think tickets are terribly expensive during summer to go to Finland cos of its beautiful summer. You know summer in Japan is extremely muggy, but it's nice to hear you got tickets already.
Well, I will buy ticket cos I move to Oulu. It's nice to spend summer time there but I'm leaving here perhaps in September. It's not the nicest weather I suppose, but still good to do that, I think. :)

Anonymous said...

JEEE LIPUT TÄNNE!!!

Mutta enivei.. olin kirjottamassa, että mulla on ratkaisu hedelmä ongelmaan :D

Pilko ne semmosiksi pieniksi karkin kokoisiksi vaikka neliöiksi, esim meloni ja sitten laitat palat pikkuseen minigrip- pussiin jonka voit jemmata helposti ja sieltä aina nappasta palan kuin karamellin.

Terv. Heikku

Lauri said...

Heh heh! Jälleen oikeassa. Taidat olla astetta viekkaampi (tai Japanilaista vikkaampi). Jospa vielä kiertäis ne karkkipaperrin, niin avot!

Tai sitten vaan alan syömään raakaa porkkanaa banaanin sijan. :D

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Better together...