June 13, 2010

Impressions of working in Japan: Work identity and private identity

A thing about Japanese that probably never will reveal to me is how differently they behave at work and in private. Let me explain. A normal office behavior is quiet, involves little laughter, a bunch of formalities, and a whole lot of stiffness. But when we are outside the office walls things change.

Last Friday, we had yet another nomikai to unofficially welcome the new employees. About 30 people from the top to the bottom of the hierarchy participated in this evening function that took place in a nearby izakaya and later continued at a too small karaoke room. It was all in all a fun occasion.


Anyhow, during the party I but wondered: "How the people I know as employees were able to go through such a quick and dramatic change?" Talkative, unrestricted, smiling and laughing loudly (the above photo explains everything).

Of course its normal and oftentimes advisable to distinguish between private and work behavior. Butt-scratching, nose-picking (the two things I unconsciously do) and all that doesn't belong to meetings or office environment; we all know that.

Yet it's not only behavior but its personality I'm talking about. To me it seems that I hardly know my colleagues when I see them in private. I ponder befuddled, "Are these really the same quiet people who I see sitting eight hours from Monday to Friday at the desk?"

Given that the change happened within in less than half an hour, during the walk from the office to the izakaya, it becomes even more difficult to believe. "Which personality is the real one, and which the played?" was the underlying question that remained. But in fact the answer, as difficult it is to swallow for me, might be: both are real. Perhaps I was brought up in a culture where person's personality is expected to be consistent.

Above all the puzzlement, being able to shift one's personality probably requires self control and therefore is an admirable skill itself.

0 comments (click to write a comment):

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Better together...