March 15, 2010

Impressions of working in Japan: Office atmosphere

The silent office
There are a little over 25 people toiling and breathing the thick air of this room. When I lift up my sight over my monitor and look around everyone appears to be working tediously.

Tapping of the keyboard and frequent mouse clicks are faint but constant sounds on the background. Printer occasionally interrupts the quiet air. The noise it produces seems unusually loud when it swiftly thrusts out a pile of A4’s.

In my mind I think: here I am sitting in an office striving to blend in and be like the people around me. Yet, the feeling of being foreign is not going anywhere. I recall the song ‘English man in New York’ by Sting. Change it to Finnish man in Oita and it’s quite a match for this scene. Maybe I'll whistle it a little... On the other hand better I'd better not.

Time to stop wondering like this. I take a breath-full of the heavy office air, lower my sight back to monitor and join the orchestra of keyboards’ and mice’s.

0 comments (click to write a comment):

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Better together...