November 13, 2010

Be kind to interviewers, they're only trying to do their work

I was interviewing people in Helsinki last Tuesday. It's a part-time job alongside of studies.

People do not think highly of such job, and I can see why. Bothering people with dozens of questions on their spare time in a chaotic shopping mall, just as they have got out from work to do their grocery purchases.

That Tuesday was the worst slump so far. Recalling the event makes my blood still boil, but I can only blame my self.

The idea was to interview anyone who came out of the store, and basically figure out why one chooses to shop in this store and not the other.

The day was almost ending, and I was just checking my phone for messages. On the same moment one quite chubby man who had packed his week's food made an eye contact. He was about to walk away so quickly I put the phone into my pocket, and asked him "How are you doing?" He turned his face away saying, "Why do you ask? You're not interested anyway how am I doing."

Nice start. This guy wasn't obviously in a mood to answer, but I went on replying "I thought asking that would be a nice way to begin a conversation." The guy frowned at me and said, "Well, I'm not interested to have a conversation with you." That made two of us, but as my duty is to get the questionnaire forms filled, I asked him whether he'd be interested to participate anyway.

This man abruptly refused and was about to turn away, but then suddenly he bent down to pick up something from the floor. After a brief moment he got up holding up a 5 euro bill in his hand. "Look at this!" he yelled squeezing the note firmly. "Maybe I can answer your questionnaire after all."

Half of the form was complete, but then he started to get hostile. He was criticizing almost every question. "What is this question, 'is the store socially responsible'? Isn't every store in a way contributing to the welfare?" Who the hell has invented these god damn questions? You? I think this questionnaire is ridiculous!"

All I could do was to explain, "I'm only interviewing, and that's my poor job. If you help me out on this I'd be very pleased." He softened a little and continued to answer. Then as I turned to next page his fury exploded at once. "With how many questions you dare to bother me? I need much more than 5 euro to answer your foolish questionnaire! I've done a marketing research once, and I know how they should be. The hell with it! This is enough!"

His shouts echoed in the mall as he was marching away. You can imagine I felt down, and the fact that interviewer's wage is counted per completed form made the situation even more annoying. Half an hour wasted only to get irritated. Splendid.

I put my hands into my pockets and gathered my wits. A 5 euro note had been in my pocket, but where was it now? Oh dear, it had dropped...

3 comments (click to write a comment):

moss said...

Hahha, a whole description was written perfectly with a tipical finnish style of humor, very cynical:)

Okay, working as an interviewer, randomly picking up whoever people walking around, won't be so fun. But you see, it's definitely worthy to widen your point of view, making you take a look at so- called the world of interviewers on the street:)

My daily routine has been to imagine the situation of workers on whatever jobs...and I've once thought about how street interviewers feeling:) Now I know a real feedback, thanks!

Lauri said...

Doruko, thanks for the empathy! It takes imagination to be empathic, and I think you have lots of it. The person I met had none, I guess.

If I ever get asked "Would you like to take part in an interview?" whether the questionnaire is interesting or not, I know to be emphatic and say yes. Besides, how much can it really hurt to answer?

In Japan the refusals are probably more subtle, or what do you think doruko?

moss said...

Well, hard to say whether it's subtle or not. It's just utterly up to people regardless nationalities.

But honestly speaking, if I'm asked to join an interview on the street, I'll turn down right away with a bit of humor because I'm not being kind a person who easily gives my own personal information to strangers in such an doubtful info-tech world:( you know what I mean:)

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Better together...